January 09, 2012

New York Times: Riot History

In December I had my first Op-Art published. This was the first time that I had gotten the chance to pitch one of my own ideas to the Times, and I am extremely grateful to art director Aviva Michaelov for approving the project and working with me throughout the process to bring it to completion.

Through my research I was introduced to Alex S. Vitale, a professor of sociology at Brooklyn College and an expert in protest policing, who helped me establish a historical framework for the project, and distilled his years of scholarship into the piece's introduction. I can't thank him enough for the work he put into this. To read Professor Vitale's introduction and see the piece in its official context, follow this link to the NYTimes Op-Ed page: here.



No comments: